04 March 2014

Fudgy Hazelnut Chocolate


It's funny how we change as life progresses. Growing up I would always ask my grandmother to make her famous peach cobbler, buttermilk pie, or lemon pie for my birthday. Chocolate was not a priority. If you knew my grandmother or have the remotest idea of the caliber of cobblers and pies she could pull out of her oven, I think you'll understand why chocolate was of no interest to me.


Still today if given a choice I'll often pick the fruit cobbler or buttermilk pie over chocolate. But for an everyday treat I've come to deeply appreciate a high quality dark silky chocolate in some form or another. This fudgy chocolate is one of those forms I'm loving at the moment. The hazelnut butter makes it rich and fudgy and the crunch of whole hazelnuts and chewiness of dried apricots go really well together. Of course you can use any nut/nut butter you would like here, I've just grown especially fond of making and enjoying hazelnut butter and the pairing of hazelnuts and apricots.





Fudgy Hazelnut Chocolate
Makes 1 small chocolate loaf

Notes: A few things may affect the amount of sweetener needed. You may need less if your hazelnut butter is sweetened or your sweetener of choice is honey or maple syrup. On the other hand brown rice syrup is not as sweet and you'll probably want the full 2 tablespoons.

2 Tbsp. hazelnut butter (love this recipe)
2 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 1/2 - 2 Tbsp. honey (or brown rice syrup/maple syrup)
2 Tbsp. raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
Pinch salt
6 dried apricots, chopped (~1/3 cup)
1/3 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped

In a small saucepan over medium-low heat melt hazelnut butter, coconut oil, and sweetener of choice, stirring often until mixture is completely liquid and thoroughly combined. Stir in cacao powder and salt, taste, and adjust for more salt or sweetener if needed.  Remove from heat and stir in apricots and hazelnuts. (If apricots are not very soft, add them in when melting ingredients).

Cover a small loaf pan* with a sheet of parchment paper large enough to come up the sides of the pan. Press paper down into pan and fold ends over edges of pan making a smooth inner lining as best as possible (it won't be perfect). Pour chocolate mixture into pan and refrigerate until solid. (I freeze it for 15-30 minutes to give it a head start, then move to the refrigerator for another 40 minutes before slicing. Freezing is not necessary if your mold creates a thinner layer.)

Cut slices or cubes with a serrated knife and enjoy right away. Store in the refrigerator.

*Although I have not tried it, alternatively it might work to make chocolate rounds by using a regular-sized or mini muffin pan or mini silicone molds. The chocolate should pop out with the help of a knife once completely set.



Sharing this fudgy goodness with Mark this week over at Javelin Warrior's Cookin' With Luv for his Made With Love Monday series.


Made with Love Mondays,
hosted by Javelin Warrior

16 comments:

  1. These look so good, love sweets that are held together with dried fruit. Pinned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay, glad these appeal to you too Cheri. Between the chocolate, hazelnuts, and apricots they are a perfect afternoon pick-me-up. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  2. Funnily enough I wasn't too bothered about chocolate either but in my 29'd I had bouts of low iron levels and turned to dark chocolate. It grew on me and it always hits the spot. I love your additions of apricots and hazelnuts...yum x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deena! Dark chocolate certainly knows how to get on our good side, doesn't it?! Hope the low iron is not a problem anymore!

      Delete
  3. This looks like a fudge recipe that I would be able to make and certainly one that I would enjoy eating! You always have such great ideas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you can make this! It's the easiest and most wholesome fudgy chocolate you'll have. ;-)

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous, gorgeous chocolate, Katie! I love the addition of hazelnuts and apricots - these are both such perfect pairings. And the texture looks fantastic...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you approve, Mark. ;-) The texture is really nice. It's rich, creamy, and a little fudgy. But it will melt quickly so you must eat it right away after pulling out of the fridge and cutting!

      Delete
  5. Hazlenut butter chocolate!? Yum!! This is such a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dearna! It is an awesome pairing, hazelnut and chocolate. And as long as I can make hazelnut butter I have no need to go back to almond, it is that good!! Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. One portion of fudgy chocolate goodness for me, please! This looks seriously delicious and I love the texture mix of crispy (hazelnuts) and soft. Will bookmark this recipe so I can make this the next time chocolate craving hits me hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sini! If you like the mix of crunchy and soft you'll really enjoy this. Let me know if you can make it!

      Delete
  7. Yum! Using hazelnut butter is a good idea. I've just been making chocolates using coconut butter the past couple of weeks.

    I use the mini muffin tin for my chocolates and they work fine, I just pop a knife down the side and they pop out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmm, coconut butter is a great idea! Glad to know the mini muffin tin works well too. Thanks for stopping by, Amanda!

      Delete
  8. Oh my goodness! So delicious! This past weekend, I made this in my mini muffin cups, as you recommended. It's better to have them as serving sizes, or else I worry I would eat the whole thing in one sitting. These little guys are going to get me through this work week :-)

    Also, that hazelnut butter recipe you recommend is definitely the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, I think we polished off a batch in a few days. But to your and my defense, this does make a small amount. I was going for quality over quantity!! ;-) Glad to know it works so well in the mini muffin cups, will do that next time. Thanks for letting me know how they turned out!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Cooksnaps