21 March 2014

Simple Green Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette



Is it too early still for a lighter springy green salad? If you're like me and are feeling spring coming on then you may be eager to lighten up a dish here and there too. Warm, sunny days have come early to Switzerland this year. I say that but then we are supposedly back to winter this weekend.



Nevertheless I had an urge to make this salad. I kept it fresh and simple with tender, delicate greens, thinly shaved crunchy fennel, toasted sunflower seeds, and a bit of goat's milk feta. The feta goes nicely with the star of the salad, a raspberry vinaigrette. Frozen, defrosted raspberries are whizzed up with vinegar, olive oil, and fresh herbs for a quick, thick, sweet and tangy vinaigrette that you'll want to make over and over again. And if raspberries are in season by all means use fresh here!


Simple Green Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
Serves 4
Notes: I used Boston/Butter lettuce but Mache or any other tender leaf would also be nice.

Salad

Several large handfuls tender greens
1 small bulb fennel, cored and thinly sliced (with mandolin or knife)
1/3 cup sunflower seeds, toasted
1/4 cup feta (goat's milk preferable)
Raspberry vinaigrette (below), to serve

Either keep greens as full cups so they hold the smaller components of the salad nicely. Place in large salad bowl and add fennel, seeds, and feta to each cup. Or tear greens into smaller pieces and toss with other ingredients. Pour vinaigrette over salad just before serving or pass at the table once salad is plated.

Raspberry Vinaigrette

1/2 cup frozen raspberries, defrosted (measure when frozen)
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar (white wine vinegar also works)
2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup tarragon leaves
Drizzle honey (~1/2 tsp.)
Scant 1/4 tsp. salt
Splash water


Add all ingredients to a small food processor (or use a hand immersion blender). Process until smooth. Taste, adjust to your liking and serve alongside salad. 

12 comments:

  1. I love these colours! It's isn't too early;) I haven't tried a raspberry vinegarette before, is it very tart? X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Deena! Yes, the raspberries are a little tart but the honey balances them well. I tend to make my vinaigrettes on the tarter side though because I love tangy things plus I don't want the flavor to be hidden completely once added to the salad. But that's me. ;-)

      Delete
  2. I once had salad with raspberry vinaigrette at a bistro but somehow I never replicated it at home. Thank you for reminding me of it again! And no, it's definitely not too early for something springlike. At least not when it looks this beautiful.

    Have a great weekend,
    Sini

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sini! I'm glad you agree and that it brought back good memories. I love making extra and having it on hand for several days.

      Delete
  3. What a great presentation! the salad dressing looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Cheri! It's a fun salad. ;-)

      Delete
  4. The weather is still warm here in Australia so still salad weather :) This looks lovely and I love the idea of a raspberry vinaigrette, yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dearna! Glad it's still salad-weather there too, at least for a little bit longer. ;-)

      Delete
  5. Yum! The feta and the raspberry vinaigrette would compliment each other nicely too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do compliment each other well. Thanks for stopping by, Amanda!

      Delete
  6. That looks like a delicious salad. Raspberry Vinaigrette is my favorite dressing but I have never tried to make it myself. Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Thank you, I do hope you get to try it! It's a forgiving dressing as you can add more sweetness or vinegar, to your liking. Thanks for your comment!

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Cooksnaps